Friday, March 25, 2011




Number eight This is a picture of my friend, Fran, who was doing a front/side flip. I liked the radial structure that his body seemed to produce as he flipped. It seemed like he pivoted around one point. To show movement, I splatterpainted him to make it more active and exciting than just painting him a solid color. After that, I made the lines of his body and clothes very bold to show space and emphasize the movement of the material of his shirt and pants. Then i created a radial structure in the background to show his entire body in motion. I made the focal point of the structure the very center of his chest and arms; the area from which he was "pivoting". The background is solid black so that it does not attract much attention but it allows more excitment and movement. I think this was a succesful action shot piece, but I still might add more to Flipping Fran.

5 comments:

  1. I think you should clean up some of your colors, or your black background. I like the sense of action but i think if you push the colors and change the white spaces in your background to maybe yellow or orange the image might pop more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your radial structure and the bold lines in the person and background. I think you could add even more splatter paint to the shirt and pants if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like your splatter approach on this one! the background also gives it a really good feel of movement too. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe tape off the guy and spray paint the lines instead of using marker. That way the marker lines are less noticeable. Or even you could go into it with photoshop and make it a solid black. Like every one else I like the splatter paint in his clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good start to this, Philip! I like the radial structure in conjunction with the arrangement of the figure on your picture plane. Here's what I would do....1) Make the figure solid and bold shapes and 2) Put your splatter painting into the white spaces of the radial structure. This will make the figure compete with the structure for attention and create a greater sense of dynamic energy to the overall composition.

    ReplyDelete