Friday, November 19, 2010

Goldfish (Conc. #8)
I started this piece by creating the watery background. I was planning on doing a picture of my dog swimming because I could show emotion and thought through the contour lines on the dog. I once i finished the water, i decided to do this goldfish instead. I found a picture online of a goldfish, but i changed the colors, fins, and shape of the fish. I kept the basic features and abstracted the body by simplifying it to its most basic lines. After finding the basic shapes, i used "not so basic" colors to abstract the fish even more. The purpose of this was to emphasize the colors and simplify the appearance of the contour lines. I tried creating an informal structure in the background with ink dots and horizontal lines.

6 comments:

  1. This piece looks really good. I love the bright colors of the goldfish and the abstracted shapes. I also like the background; it looks watery and bubbly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors here Philip, they really make the fish pop! I also think there's really nice texture in the background and also the fins of the fish. I think the fins are what really tie the fish into the background. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe some ripples in the water could give a sense of the fish swiming or a another fish in the background but partiallly cutoff? The back ground in watercolor fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At a quick first glance I thought the goldfish was upside down and I laughed. But anyways... I think you really made the fish look like it is swimming. The fins look like they are turning and the colors and shading match look very realistic. Maybe you could try to do what McCabe did in the mermaid one with the light coming from the top of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this piece. It is very interesting and I like the way that the colors from the background merge with the colors of the fish. Also the fish looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great color choices! My one suggestion is to focus more on the figure/ground relationship and develop the background so that there is more of an interesting relationship with the edges of your paper. I like Sarah's idea of using ripples or you could draw into the texture in the background to emphasize the existing shapes. Or, what about a series of simple fish in the background to indicate a school of fish? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete