Friday, October 22, 2010

Seafood Still life (Conc. #5)
The background is awful and takes away from the peice. what do i do

5 comments:

  1. Phili what happened :( i thought you were going to put words in the background? the yellow also takes away from the crabs and the fish. What you could do is white out the background and start again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a strong piece Philip. I love the cage and sea creatures. The colors and textures on them are good. And I like the yellow, I think it contrasts with the soft tones of the sea creatures. I think that if the water was a solid blue, it would not be so distracting. And maybe if it was a dark shade of blue, it would make the sea creatures stand out, like they do against the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I agree with Laura... if you were to make the blue part darker it would detract less from the critters. Maybe try that, or somehow make it a solid color? I think the yellow is just fine how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one! I think the background adds to it. The stippling looks unbelievable! And the color wash makes the whole piece pop! well done dawg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on this assignment! I see it as being not yet completed and that is why you are struggling with it. I love the color washes that you have developed for this assignment and would simply develop your color more fully as mentioned in the comments above. I would mix blue and orange for a somewhat neutralized blue and develop the background more fully - it is trying to compete with the wonderful marks you have on your objects and it just can't do it without more depth in color. The yellow is fine and what I would recommend is to add some greater intensity in color to your objects/subjects to allow them to come forward. You are 90% done and with another 30-60 minutes on this project, you will be much more happy!

    ReplyDelete