Friday, September 24, 2010

Rooster (Conc. 1)
I took a picture of a rooster at my neighbors house and it came out great. I knew i wanted to use animals in my concentration, so i decided this would be a good starting place. I used contour lines and created my own font for the background, as well as used watercolors and india in for the background. I have an informal structure with the purple dots in the background, and a formal structure that is concentrated in the top right corner of words. The colors, words, and style of the Rooster were created in order to portray the emotions and words and connotations that people often associate with rooster (i.e. beautiful, strong, proud, maybe even spicy!).

3 comments:

  1. I really, really like this Philip! The watercolors added some interesting textures and I like the fact that you kept the rooster white... it leaves the focus on the lines (which are excellent) and also the emotions that are stirred up by the colors and words. I don't think I would have done anything differently, it looks great as is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome the colored background helps add focus to the Rooster. The color also brings out the words and really makes them pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! The piece is so much stronger because of the surface manipulation in the background against the white contrast with the contour line. I would like to see you invest in some interesting stencils to have on hand for future lettering as well.

    ReplyDelete